Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Love Bug

We (more specifically I) were certainly visited by the “love bug" this year. My Valentine’s day began with me waking at 5:00 am and running to the bathroom to“toss my valentines”. I had started getting sick on Sunday afternoon and by bedtime was horribly nauseous. Being 7 months pregnant and still getting weekly night nausea, I thought I could sleep if off and be better in the morning. Not the case. The morning started badly and it only proceeded to get worse as the day went on. This was more than pregnant sick...I had a bug.

Aside from it being a holiday, I had to work all day (babysitting a friend’s 3 little boys). My girls and I were excited to go because we had a fun Valentine’s party planned for the morning. I went over to my friend’s house but quickly realized that I would not last the day in my condition. I called on a wonderful friend who was available and kind enough to rush over and bail me out so that I could drag myself home to slowly die!

I got home, fed my kids, put them to nap and conked out on the couch. I wasn’t looking forward to the girls waking up because I had NO energy and I didn't know how I'd take of them. I was exhausted, dehydrated and every time I moved I felt sick again. Thankfully my girls slept great and woke up as little angels. Ava was so kind and thoughtful. She kept telling me how sorry she was that I was so sick and not to worry that she was going to take care of me until daddy got home. She stayed true to her word and I was just sick enough to let her! She got Aubri drinks and snacks, took her outside to play so I could rest brought me anything I wanted. She is sweet and mature beyond her 4 young years!!

Joe was wonderful too. He called to check on me and after realizing I wasn’t doing well he came home early even though up against a deadline at work and it meant working long into the night after kids had gone to bed.

When Joe got home he found me planted on the couch which I hadn’t moved from all day except to run to the bathroom several times. He had picked up dinner and fed the kids solo. Then he took them out to play so that I could rest in peace and quiet.

As I was lying there drifting off to sleep, I could hear the girls laughing their heads off as daddy was jumping and wrestling with them on the trampoline. I was so miserable but couldn’t help but smile, it was a beautiful sound. And while I wished that I could have been outside sharing in the fun with my family, I realized in that moment that this probably one of the best Valentine’s ever! I reflected over the day and I had been lovingly taken care of by friends and family. AND there had been no fighting, no yelling, no whining, and no crying that day. (when does that happen?)

And now my kids were having the time of their life, enjoying the best gift of 2 hours of undivided daddy fun time. And while Joe would say he was just doing what any father would, he was truly giving me the greatest gift. He was loving and playing with our girls while giving me peace and quiet and peace of mind.

Although I have no desire to feel that sick (escpecaially while pregnant) again, my family was truly full of kindness, understanding and LOVE this Valentine’s Day …and we owe it all to a bug.

6 comments:

Sharron said...

Thank yor for sharing this post! Brought back many memories for me.

Mariah was such a little mother to the other kids when she was little and it saved my bacon more than once.

And good for Joe, that is NOT what any husband would do. Jon has always been like that, but judging from all the comments I have had from nurses in the hospitals and friends, Joe and Jon are pure gold!!

Hope it didn't take long to recover, flu when you are PG is murder!

The Sammons Family said...

What a sweet and precious memory. I love those kind of days that money can't buy and that you wouldn't trade for anything. I am so glad that Ava took such good care of you. You are truly blessed. SO sorry you weren't/arent feeling well. At the end of all of this you will have such a sweet little bundle to love and cuddle. i love you! wish i lived closer to help take care of you!

Brittany said...

It breaks my hear that you're still so sick. Why is pregnancy just so horrible. I get the whole Eve ate the fruit part but give me a break...seriously! All I can say, is hold on--not being pregnant just opens up a new world even though we've done it twice before. Good luck!

Melissa said...

So sorry you are still sick. That was me my whole pregnancy. No fun. You have almost made it to the end, hope the time goes fast.

c-natalie-l-k-l said...

What a sweet story and reminder!! I agree--there is nothing more wonderful than seeing my kids play with their daddy! I'm glad it was such a "wonderful" day. Hopefully you're fully recovered!

P.S. I haven't posted this on my blog yet--but I'm pregnant, too!! :) I'm 18 weeks, and we're having a boy!

Mariah said...

That was a crazy nasty bug! I can't imagine being pregnant on top of it. It was horrible! I'm glad you survived and that Joe was able to get out of work early.