Thursday, August 07, 2008

It's potty time!

I knew that big pottys existed...I've seen them in use at my house. And I heard the legend of the "child sized potty" from my friends, but I just didn't want to believe it. I asked mom about it once and she assured me that I had nothing to worry about until after the baby came.

Well, Monday all that changed. We were at Walmart doing our usual shopping when mom took a turn and suddenly I was face to face with the "little potty". We picked one out and went home, but all remained the same. Then after my nap mom greeted me with tons of salty snacks (chips, my FAVORITE) and juice(which I don't really care for) and ,the potty. We hunkered down for a long afternoon. I didn't object much because I was enjoying my treats and my favorite cartoons!

But Tuesday it continued...so MUCH SITTING!!! By the end of the night we were both spent and as I lay in bed, I thought for sure that I had broken mom's spirits and I would be in diapers by morning.

Wednesday morning came bright and early and to my surprise we were going to start AGAIN!! By the afternoon we were both emotional and each had a good cry (while on hands and knees cleaning urine off the tile floor...AGAIN)
After my nap, I woke and decided to cut mom some slack, after all she is about to have a baby. I knew that I could do it, I just had to try. It helped that mom let me run free and wild with no pants on too.

And I'm happy to report that at 4:45pm on Wednesday, I got the urge and ran to the potty and sat down!
I DID IT!
Today has continued with fast runs to the potty all by myself! I must admit, it does feel better than sitting in it! We'll continue to see how it goes, but as of now I think I may be converted!

6 comments:

Robin and Larry said...

hey.. I finally have a BLOG! I am going to add yours to my friends list! Ava is sooooooooooo adorable.. I am so glad she is going to have a sissy. :)

NielsonJan said...

WAY-TO-GO AVA!!! I love that you caught onto the whole potty idea so quick!!! It is sometimes hard for both Mom and child. Keep up the good work!! Love--Grandma N.

NielsonJan said...

WAY-TO-GO AVA!!! I love that you caught onto the whole potty idea so quick!!! It is sometimes hard for both Mom and child. Keep up the good work!! Love--Grandma N.

c-natalie-l-k-l said...

Congratulations, Ava and Joi!!! Keep working! You can do it! :)

P.S. Potty charts (with stickers) worked really well for Lucas after the initial potty excitement about running to the potty wore off. :)

Ashley said...

This is such a cute post. I think you described the process really well! Hopefully it will keep going well, we had more of the cleaning the floor stage than I try to remember! I am now motivated to start training Rebekah. We miss seeing you guys! Ava is so cute

*Katie* said...

Ava! You're the potty queen :) It's a ridiculously proud moment for a mama, isn't it Joi? That's awesome! She looks so grown up -- we need to see her soon :)